Why I’m a Freelance Web Designer…
Why am I a freelance web designer? It’s because I love it. I love designing websites. I love being creative. I love coding and logic, but most importantly, I love helping others build a great website, more so, I love helping others build their business online and see results!
I work from my home office in Leeds, Yorkshire. I don’t rent office space as I would have to charge higher prices. I have few overheads and I can be with my children more often too, although it’s arguable whether that’s a bonus of being a freelance web designer developer some days! (wink, wink)
There’s something about Abi
So you want to know more about me? It’s very important to find a freelance web designer you can get on with, more importantly, a find a web designer that you can trust.
mum of 2, mumtrepreneur and expert multi-tasker…
- First and foremost, I’m a mum of 2 gorgeous children, both under 3 years old at the time of writing. A handful, exhausting, but worth every minute. My pride and joy.
- Secondly, I am a freelance web designer, web developer, SEO consultant, and I love what I do.
- Thirdly, and as much as I hate the phrase, I do fit the bill as a Mumtrepreneur. I build online shops. Doing this has helped me learn so much more about what it takes to operate a successful online shop.
Anyhow, I particularly like helping small businesses, especially start-ups. That doesn’t mean I like helping for free, so don’t waste your breath. On the other hand, I can pretty much guarantee because I am a freelancer, I will provide one of the lowest web design and online marketing quote you will get, for an equal high quality web design service.
A history of creativity…
I have always been creative. I got a B in GCSE Art and Design, back when GCSE’s were fairly hard to pass! I should have got an A (in my opinion). I have always been good with technology too, understanding complex technical issues faster than many of my peers.
I have a BA Hons in Business Management from Leeds Met University. It was there I was first introduced in depth to computers. We didn’t have IT lessons or computer rooms when I attended high school, just 3 BBC computers for around 600 students, having a computer at home was a luxury too, far too expensive for the average family.
I worked at William Hill Bookmakers while attending Uni. Taking bets from gamblers over the phone; a chore of a job, but it provided essential student funds, beer money in the main.
I never managed to escape William Hill in the end. I progressed to a supervisory position but drifted towards IT when asked to help out in that department. It was then I realised I LOVED working with computers.
After a few years essential experience on IT Helpdesks, I managed to forge a career designing and developing Helpdesk databases for William Hill shops, security department and for the IT department, to record and monitor incidents. I developed my skills in SQL, MySQL, HTML, CSS, Database design, PHP, ITIL framemork, and much more. I loved my job, although I hated the office politics, but I gained a wealth of experience both professionally and personally and also have a little book full of IT contacts who I can depend on for larger projects.
And then she was Free to Web Design
I’ve been a freelance web designer for 5 years, building websites for small businesses in Leeds, Yorkshire and across the UK, (with a small break to birth my rug rats).
I’m a genuine, helpful and caring individual who loves to please. I aren’t a Geek, you will find me very easy to chat to and I will make you feel at ease throughout the web design process. I really enjoy researching my clients business/industry to gain a greater understanding of their goals, requirements and target market.
Don’t expect china cups…just great websites
I’m a part time freelance web designer and developer. I work from an office in my home in Leeds. If you expect to meet me in a luxury office, with leather seats and china cups, best find a bigger web design company who will add the cost of those luxury’s to their fees.
Working from home means I have minimal overheads and I don’t have any staff to pay either, this makes my web design service affordable and my estimates more competitive than most.
Every Freelance Web Designer has a style…
First things first, before you do anything, look at my web design examples. If you don’t like what you see then I am not the freelance web designer for you. I have a style. A style I like! Just like an interior designer. Some people like Linda Barkers style, others like Kelly Hoppens designs and for some unknown reason some people like Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen creations, but hey each to their own. It’s the same with web design really. They have a style as do I.
A really flattering picture
Well I wouldn’t put a horrible picture online for the world to see would I? I build your website in jeans and a t-shirt, I wear a bit of make-up when meeting clients, but don’t expect me to dress up like I am going to a wedding when you meet me.
Am I the Freelance Web Designer for you?
It’s a woman thing, women listen, we try to understand, we don’t have egos (unless you say we are fat or need a hair cut). We can admit when we are wrong. I listen to clients ideas, add my own and we work as a team. I don’t get offended if you don’t like my ideas. Like I said, it’s a woman thing 🙂
I don’t account for every minute of my time. If it takes me 5 minutes, it’s free. If it takes me an hour, yes I will charge… but not the cost of your monthly mortgage payment. You get the drift, I won’t be taken for granted, but I will do more than the ordinary freelancer will.
My husband hates it, my mobile phone company love it. Yes, I have spoken on the phone at length to potential clients, usually forgetting it’s my phone bill. Some larger web design companies won’t help with anything beyond the design contract. I like to help, to advise and guide.
I’m the web designer, you aren’t (me speaking my mind) Even though, as I pointed out earlier, I listen to your ideas, if I think those ideas are rubbish (there’s me speaking my mind again), I say so. You will always know how I feel, I aren’t a “yes” woman ( I’ve worked with plenty of them – men and women), so if you want your ego massaging you got the wrong gal, but if you want your website to look ace and a web designer who, listens, communicates, compromises and has no problem explaining which of your ideas are good and which aren’t, then you found her. You will always know where you stand with me, I express myself clearly and like to have open and honest communication with my clients.
I charge reasonable rates. I justify all my estimates and generally my original costing is what you pay in the end… unless at some point during a project a one page site turns into a full shopping cart system, my estimate would be amended in that case. Regardless, you wont have to worry about having to re-mortgage your house to pay for my web design services.
I can have a laugh, I am not a geek, I get jokes (most of the time) I can be serious when needed, but in the main, I am fun, and nice to be around and I work my socks off for all my clients.
It’s a boring point but one worth noting. Having worked for a large FTSE 100 company, other than aquiring a huge understanding of “office politics”, my exposure to process, design, systems, techniques and standards, is varied. I have also built up a nice little black book of IT professionals which I can utilise, if required, for projects.
Working from my home office, I have minimal overheads, and don’t have any staff to pay. By working this way I am able to offer affordable quality web design services.
Just for fun…
- I am 5’9″ and like being tall
- I was brought up RC, but now Athiest
- I am sociable and outgoing
- I can be surprisingly shy too!
- I am a cheese addict
- I am cleverer than the average person
- I am a chocolate addict
- I learn quickly. I see once and know, I see twice and do it better.
- I am great at sport, even if older and less fit!
- I sing like a cat being strangelled
- I wish I could sing
- I can make people laugh
- People think I am slightly bonkers
- I can talk the hind leg off a tortoise
- I am known for getting quotes wrong!
- Apparently I look like Mel C
- Apparently I look like Carol Vorderman
- Apparently I look like Surranne Jones
- I am very confused as to who I look like!!
- I’ve had 2 c-sections and I had absolutely no desire to give birth naturally
- I drink far too much diet coke
- I prefer lager to wine
- I drink too much lager!
- I once had to call the AA to help me reverse out of a parking space
- I am a good driver though!
- I don’t believe in Star signs, but I’m a typical Gemini
- I can talk to anyone and everyone with ease
- When people describe me they usually use the word entertaining somewhere
- I am petrified of butterflies, and don’t mention moths! EVIL.
- I LOVE animals although allergic to FUR!
- Fiction bores me, I like facts, real life and learning
- I have a freckle on my lip. So does my sister. So did my Nanna.
- I love Olives and can eat them like sweets.
- My perfect day would be cocktails while tanning on a beach, in the sun, Indian or Italian meal in the evening… and a babysitter to get the kids to bed while I party!